AW: The ongoing saga of Oberheim

I considered buying one of these, but I was told that they are currently
not available in Germany. One shop said they aren't built anymore,
another one said they had problems with the European CE (EMC)
regulations.
Then I considered finding a used one, but now ... I hesitate.

I don't think these repair stories are specific for one manufacturer
(sounds
similar as the repair story of my car hifi and of my portable DAT, for
example.),
so this saga doesn't surprise me at all.

But this generally makes me think about buying murical gear that is
based
around software, i.e. you are dependent on service by authorized people.
I prefer units which I can repair myself.
Maybe I'll just put extra RAM chips into my Delta Lab Effectron. Or wait
for
this new EH delay. (Hope they'll just use larger RAM chips, and not
redesign
the control circuitry !)
What do you think?

JH.