RE: hearing a mistake repeated ad infinitum can be especially painful.

At 07:36 PM 10/28/97 UT, Pete Gilbert wrote:
>one of the "charms" of the looping technique is to figure out how to make
>that clunker sound like it was meant to be there. I have found two ways
>(other than stopping and beginning again, of course):
>
>1. cover it up. play something else very loud to drown out the mistake.
>maybe stack a chord with that interesting, extra note :-)
>
>2. add some things around the mistake that make it sound intentional.
>this can be tougher to do, but can lead the loop in interesting
>directions.
>
>does anyone else have any suggestions?

Another idea is to take number 2 to an extreme, and accentuate the mistake
so that it becomes a dominant feature of the loop, and add new elements
that
relate to what had once been a mistake and is now the central theme.

Along the same lines, reduce the feedback of the loop some, and take this
mistake as a new direction in the loop. As the old stuff is dying away, add
new elements related to the "mistake." The loop will transition to a new
phase, where everything relates to the clunker element. Bring the feedback
up again when the old stuff is suitably gone and the new form has suitably
developed. Sometimes this means that the original mistake has died away
too,
leaving you just with your response to the mistake!

This sort of feedback action works best when you have a way to change the
size of the loop to make it shorter. On the plex, for example, you do a
Multiply-Record to redefine the loop length to something shorter. That way
the feedback does something in a reasonable length of time and it doesn't
take an hour to transition to the new phase. Once you get to the new phase
you multiply it out again.

My favorite sorts of mistakes are the rhythmic ones. The repetitive nature
of looping forces everything to be rhythmic in some way, so even things
that
are internally un-rhythmic become so by being repeated. I love this effect,
and it happens best when I totally botch something that I had meant to play
in time. I will usually then play off this rhythmic tension, to accentuate
the new odd rhythms I've unintentionally produced.  Eventually, the new
rhythm begins to dominate, and I'll do the feedback tricks to take out the
old stuff and resolve the rhythmic tension.

anyway, back to work....

kim

>Pete Gilbert (PeteGilbert@msn.com)

Kim Flint                      408-752-9284
Mpact System Engineering       kflint@chromatic.com
Chromatic Research             http://www.chromatic.com