Re: Firewire (IEEE1394) interfaces

At 01:34 PM 10/22/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Microsoft is pushing both firewire and USB, and both are supposed to be
>part
>of Windows 98. USB will be on everything, while firewire is a high
>bandwidth
>option for medium and high-end machines, especially those for multimedia
>applications. Sort of like how now, every machine has a printer port, but
>not everything has ethernet or scsi. Firewire is supposed to replace
>things
>like scsi, parallel ports, and ethernet for some applications. It will be
>used for audio, digital video, disk drives, dvd drives, scanners,
>printers,
>digital cameras, etc. In this context, musical instruments are another pc
>peripheral and would be expected to have this interface too.

Kim,
        WOW.  From a non-EE perspective, you've e-mailed some pretty
provocative prose about firewire and MIDI.  So... when do I look for
on-the-fly looping capabilities (with foot control!) plugged into a
notebook-style computer?  Will Digitech, Boomerang, Oberheim EP, etc.
continue to be the most best looping tools for several years?
        Also sounds like MIDI is becoming dinosaur-ish.  As a guitar-MIDI-
dabbler (AXON), I'm fascinated.  I'd love to hear more about what you see
coming.  Thanks again for all your looper e-mail work and the looping
comments/information.  BTW, DID YOU visit Tom at Oberheim??

                Grover