Re: ring mod signals & Re: marimba, kalimba, steel drum sounds

> Since english is not my native language, would someone be kind and
explain
> to me what an alligator clip is?

They are the small clips which have teeth.  They resemble an alligator's
head, hence the name.

> Also, I finally got ahold of a decent ring modulator w/ a multiplier chip
> in it. It has two inputs (no internal oscillator on this unit), so I was
> wondering if any of you guitarists out there have any ideas for signals
> modulate my guitars with...

First, you will need a sine wave generator.  I would suggest you get a good
solid-state oscillator from a surplus dealer or use an analogue synth with
the
filter resonance turned all the way into self-oscillation as your carrier.
Avoid tube oscillators. They sound very nice, but their sine waves are not
always perfect and the 48V output could fry your other equipment.
Be sure to check the out levels on the solid state oscillator as well.
These things usually don't cost much.

You may also experiment with other waveshapes as carriers, but since
you are using a guitar which is rich in harmonic content, I imagine you'll
get
better results with a pure sine wave.

You may also exceed audible range with most stand-alone generators, and I'm

seriously suggesting you try this out.  Since this signal is acting as a
modulation
source, it need not be audible in frequency range to act on your guitar
sound.

I also suggest you try putting an EQ between your guitar and the ring mod;
this
will give you more control over which harmonics are affected.

Hoping this helps a little,

D 4 V 1 D    K R 1 5 T 1 4 N

"Echo is Instant Nostalgia"

  jndk@colba.net