ccMail SMTPLINK Undeliverable Message

Message undeliverable at this time

 Original text follows
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 13:34:10 -0700
To: Loopers-Delight@annihilist.com
From: Kim Flint <kflint@chromatic.com>
Subject: Re: Firewire (IEEE1394) interfaces
Cc: Loopers-Delight@annihilist.com

Microsoft is pushing both firewire and USB, and both are supposed to be
part
of Windows 98. USB will be on everything, while firewire is a high
bandwidth
option for medium and high-end machines, especially those for multimedia
applications. Sort of like how now, every machine has a printer port, but
not everything has ethernet or scsi. Firewire is supposed to replace things
like scsi, parallel ports, and ethernet for some applications. It will be
used for audio, digital video, disk drives, dvd drives, scanners, printers,
digital cameras, etc. In this context, musical instruments are another pc
peripheral and would be expected to have this interface too.

As far as looping goes, it a performance looping context you are basically
excercising control over audio streams in real time. This is exactly the
sort of thing that firewire is designed to do. So instead being limited to
keeping audio loop data in one box, you would be able to freely route it in
real time, as you manipulate and control it. That's what you all want to
do,
right?

kim

At 12:32 PM 10/22/97 -0700, Scot Gresham-Lancaster wrote:
>At the recent SIGGRAPH yamaha showed a very interesting mixing system that
>was capable of  16bit 44.1k 100+ channels using fire wire. This looked
>like
>a fairly amazing system and promised to bust open the digital audio
>market.
>It doesn't take a huge leap of faith to imagine a control protocol being
>developed in this context...once the hardware is in place that is.
>
>BTW ...USB is significantly slower and a much tighter and expensive
>development ramp up. Which means that Microsoft will probably puch it
>instead...sigh...
>
>At 11:28 AM 10/22/97 -0700, you wrote:
>>
>>As we discovered with zipi, and as Greg just demonstrated for us, making
>>these changes from within the music industry is very hard. The industry
>is
>>very slow and not willing to take risks, and usually not very up to date
>on
>>current technology trends.
>>
>>Fortunately, I guess, we have microsoft. Microsoft is dictating as part
>of
>>the PC '98 specification that all PC's from here on out have only USB and
>>Firewire (IEEE1394) interfaces. This means that you will not have midi
>>ports grafted on the joystick connector anymore, or hacked into a serial
>>port or whatever. Midi control data will be communicated over firewire or
>>USB. These peripheral networks will also be used for transmitting audio
>and
>>video, so all of these things can easily be lumped together in one wire.
>

>Scot Gresham-Lancaster
>< Composer, Performer, Instrument Designer, Consultant, Technician,
>Educator >
>ph: 510-885-3150   fax:510-885-3146
>email: scot@csuhayward.edu
>www: http://tesla.csuhayward.edu/~sglbio.html
>
>The market place is where greedy people cooperate.
>A community takes imagination ....Robert Haas

Kim Flint                      408-752-9284
Mpact System Engineering       kflint@chromatic.com
Chromatic Research             http://www.chromatic.com