Firewire (IEEE1394) interfaces

At the recent SIGGRAPH yamaha showed a very interesting mixing system that
was capable of  16bit 44.1k 100+ channels using fire wire. This looked like
a fairly amazing system and promised to bust open the digital audio market.
It doesn't take a huge leap of faith to imagine a control protocol being
developed in this context...once the hardware is in place that is.

BTW ...USB is significantly slower and a much tighter and expensive
development ramp up. Which means that Microsoft will probably puch it
instead...sigh...

At 11:28 AM 10/22/97 -0700, you wrote:

>As we discovered with zipi, and as Greg just demonstrated for us, making
>these changes from within the music industry is very hard. The industry is
>very slow and not willing to take risks, and usually not very up to date
>on
>current technology trends.
>
>Fortunately, I guess, we have microsoft. Microsoft is dictating as part of
>the PC '98 specification that all PC's from here on out have only USB and
>Firewire (IEEE1394) interfaces. This means that you will not have midi
>ports grafted on the joystick connector anymore, or hacked into a serial
>port or whatever. Midi control data will be communicated over firewire or
>USB. These peripheral networks will also be used for transmitting audio
>and
>video, so all of these things can easily be lumped together in one wire.

Scot Gresham-Lancaster
< Composer, Performer, Instrument Designer, Consultant, Technician,
Educator >
ph: 510-885-3150   fax:510-885-3146
email: scot@csuhayward.edu
www: http://tesla.csuhayward.edu/~sglbio.html

The market place is where greedy people cooperate.
A community takes imagination ....Robert Haas