Re: marimba, kalimba, steel drum sounds

> From: Len Seligmanby way of Kim Flint <seligman@mitre.org>

> I'm a looping guitarist/vocalist that plays with a looping electric
> violinist/vocalist. Additional sounds/textures I'd like to bring in
include
> marimbas, kalimbas (African thumb piano), and steel drums. Any
suggestions
> about effects that could be used to get these or related sounds from an
> electric guitar or violin?

Try putting tiny alligator clips on your springs at various positions.  You
can get some weird ringy/gongish/percussive sounds depending on where you
place the clips.  I purchased a pack of 12 clips at Radio Shack for less
than 4 bucks.  They come in different sizes but I went with the smallest.

Matt