RE: guitar amp+speakers vs. PA

I'm running my guitar through a Mesa VTwin pedal into my looping gear
and finally into a Roland K500 keyboard amp. My setup isn't stereo but
could easily be made stereo (just throw on another amp). For straight
guitar (with Mesa) this setup works pretty well, but you wouldn't
mistake it for a real guitar amp. If your straight guitar work runs more
towards rock than jazz, you probably won't be satisfied with anything
short of an actual guitar amp. For more melodic applications, however, I
think I prefer my setup, it has a sweetness and a clarity that guitar
amps don't.