Re: looping in Thessaloniki

Comments about LiSa? (Curtis doesn't actually use it (yet) so I will
respond). I have found LiSa to be very useful, flexible and stable.
Though it appears awkward to use and program at first it is quite
simple. It allows you to divide up your available RAM into sample
regions and play them back in a bunch of ways. It has some simple
filtering that can be fun, and a pattern editor which allows you to
create your own playback algorithms. It also juggles voices very well,
discarding old ones as it runs out of CPU. It has never crashed or
even fuzzed out on me.

I have a couple gripes. It has a wonderful set of envelopes for
playing back notes, but it can't envelope on record. This is a problem
for loopers; if you choose the back and forth playback mode (where it
plays the sample backwards and forwards as long as the note is on) and
there is a click on either end of the sound that you recorded, you'll
hear the click loud and clear as it cycles around. I hate clicks. I've
worked around it, but it's a pain.

Also, it has this great Scrub playback feature where you can scrub
through a soundfile with a control change message. Unfortunately, it
doesn't smooth out the control change messages, so it ends up being a
lumpy scrub with discrete and audible pitch changes. Still pretty cool
though...

I highly recommend it, and it's only $200.

By the way, our gig went very well!

Dan Trueman

"Oy, Fungus!"
Dan Trueman