RE: jon hassell....

>Hola Michael-
>
>Well it has been awhile but he seems to have picked up the pace. Doing
>*exceptional* work on the ry cooder score for the end of violence (one
>of the most thought provoking films I have seen), a track on kd lang's
>album, a live appearance of bluescreen mkII at a festival in europe, and
>some installation work....

I really liked Hassell's playing on Cooders soundtrack to "Trespass". Also,
as I was scanning the channels the other night, I noticed that he composed
the theme music, but not the incidental music, to the TV series "The
Practice". Onbly problem is, I've never managed to catch the beginning of
the show, and have not heard this yet.

>hassell as eno has said is one of our greatest minds and i am glad he is
>serving more up...
>for folks wanting to begin with some hassell try powerspot(eno! jean
>philippe rykiel!, michael brook!), city: works of fiction (truly magical
>unknown music), or for loopage unlike you have ever heard- aka darbari
>java (amazing this was made in 1983!)...

I second these recommendations completely, City: Works of Fiction is an
amazing album, treating urban music, rightly so, as another ethnic source.
I listened to it a month ago or so, for the first time in a few years, and
its amazing how well it has held up. Bluescreen, which as far as I know is
his last CD, has not held up so well for me, it veers close to urban
contemporary jazz in places, but has some nice moments. Aka:Darbari:Java is
a looping masterpiece, especially considering what tools he made it with.

>his 4th world work with eno seems nigh impossible to get....

I still see the EG records turn up on vinyl, thought I don't believe they
were ever issued on CD. Also, a few records he did on Eno's short-lived
major label Opal turn up occaisionally: there's an excellent live record
with an extremely long title that begins "The Surgeon of the Night Sky...",
and a record he did with a traditional african ensemble whose title escapes
me right now.

Dave Trenkel : improv@peak.org  : www.peak.org/~improv/

"...there will come a day when you won't have to use
gasoline. You'd simply take a cassette and put it in
your car, let it run. You'd have to have the proper
type of music. Like you take two sticks, put 'em
together, make fire. You take some notes and rub 'em
together - dum, dum, dum, dum - fire, cosmic fire."
                                            -Sun Ra