Re: help wanted -- technique tips, please

>I would like to sync up a repeating sampled riff (from Rhodes or
>telewanker), captured with an Echoplex DP, with the drummer.
>
>So far, I've tried playing the riff, letting it loop on a monitor near the
>drum kit, and seeing if he can follow along.  Things quickly get too loud
>and we drift.
>
>Then I tried using a momentary-switch pedal into the Beat sync jack, using
>Mute-Multiply to "trigger" the loop start with the pedal.  Let drummer
>work
>pedal.  This works, kinda, but there is ALWAYS a little delay between the
>pedal kick and the start of the loop.  We've tried many ways to anticipate
>this delay, record the loop differently, use a different make of pedal,
>etc.  Very frustrating.

Another idea, is to let the drummer trigger your loops with some sort of
drum trigger on a drum pad. It might be a little easier to start accurately
than with a pedal. That should work in the beat sync jack of your echoplex,
using the same Mute-multiply function.

Make sure the delay isn't just you recording the loop late! People always
do this: press record button, then start playing. The two have to occur at
the same time! If you are hearing a delay between the trigger and the start
of the loop, this might be what's going on. You might even want to put the
echoplex in front of the drummer and let him record the loops for you! Or
perhaps just give him a record button so that you still have the other
controls.

All the advice about hearing the loops is good too. I have that experience
in recording. I play in time much better if the headphone mix has drums and
bass (or whatever is keeping time) turned up much louder than me.

Also, a drummer who has had a lot of experience playing with loops wrote a
nice piece for us. It's posted on the "tips and tricks" area of the web
site. You might want to have your drummer read that.

kim