Re: Guitar good, DJ's bad, etc (was LOOPING PHILOSOPHY)

> I don't see how anything is to be
> gained discussing, for example, why Pat Metheny is a more expressive
>soloist
> than Gary Burton because his instrument is "inherently more expressive".
> I'd rather not go there myself.
................................I think there ARE some interesting places
to go as tributaries to the primary string.  Looking at how the
traditions of these instruments affect their current role and status, for
example.  If there were "piano bands" instead of string bands in the 20s
and 30s having their impact on country swing and Texas blues, etc.,
perhaps
Buddy Holly's Crickets might have been bass, drums and a lead and rhythm
keyboard line-up instead.  IF electric keyboards had been developed with
the same zeal in the 50s and 60s and weren't assigned supporting roles in
the subsequent decades, our discussion may be turned completely on its ear.

Eh?