Yet more proof that guitarists are the most arrogant people on earth....

Could we please broaden our minds a little bit and stop trying to prove
one approach to music is oh so much more special than another? There's no
need to be threatened by someone who's a bit different from you. Learn from
the differences, you might grow a little bit.

(and next time you want to make gross generalities about some group or
another, recall that you live in texas and there's no shortage of good
redneck jokes! :-) )

At 07:12 PM 8/11/97 -0500, Mikell D. Nelson wrote:
>Ian///Shakespace wrote:
>> A DJ's abilities as a DJ are just as inate as a guitarist's abilities
>as a
>> guitarist... you're born with a certain amount of talent that you hone
>> through practice. ... I really don't see a difference between a
practicing his
>> craft and a DJ practicing his. ... a DJ is grafting, adding elements and
>> removing, much the same way as a guitarists picking or strumming may
>add or
>> take away notes from a riff.
>  Creativity can be brought to almost any human endeaver, but that
>doesn't make two activities equal in a more important sense. A jock can
>pick the sample, playback rate, & what context he drops the sample into.
>But a guitarist can do equivalent things AND choose tone, phrasing, &
>attack; he can bend notes, add vibrato, & play harmonics. The number of
>options available for expression affects the power and expressiveness of
>the instrument or method. A 7 note thumb piano is not as capable of
>expressing human emotion as a tenor saxophone.
>  Another way to say this is that if you don't play guitar but want to
>play like Alan Holdsworth, then you had better get started; it'll be a
>10 or 20 year journey if it's even attainable for you. However, becoming
>a great DJ might take a few months to a year and a half; again, if you
>have it in you. So... is there a difference in the activities because
>one is more difficult. Certainly. If you master a more powerful,
>expressive medium you can create more emotional, evocative music.
>  Another angle is that the DJ chooses a piece of music (sound), *that
>someone else created*, to add to his mix. The guitarist makes the same
>choice but uses his own pallet, his own voice.
>  On another, somewhat related, note I have always thought that some
>instruments are more expressive than others, and wondered why. Why are
>there more sax, guitar, trumpet or violin solos than other instruments?
>The best answer I've come up with so far seems to be the point I was
>making above about the options. The number of ways an instruments can
>shape a note is directly related to it's expressive power. There is a
>reason sax is more popular than French horn; or guitar more popular than
>banjo. I believe great players can touch us more deeply with these
>Look out... incoming...
Kim Flint                      408-752-9284
Mpact System Engineering       kflint@chromatic.com
Chromatic Research             http://www.chromatic.com