Re: Let The Power Fall...

I railed against Let The Power Fall, to which various people responded:

Mark:
>Remeber besides the age of this recording (1979), that we're only hearing
>the recorded loop material, NOT the soloing that was an integral part of
>the process. It's a testament to quality of the material that you could
>remove
>>"half" of it and have it still function as a musical piece.

This would make sense, relative to the other performances I'd heard.

Jay (or, perhaps, Boris):
> Frippertronics is defined as that musical experience which results at
> the (intersection) of Robert Fripp and a small and appropriate level
> of technology which is my Les Paul, the Fripple board, the Fripp pedal
> board of fuzz, wah-wah and volume pedals and two Revoxes.

But there's sufficient tone modification on that board (built by Pete
Cornish btw, and later including a Roland Space Echo) to perform everything
from Larks Tongues through to about Discipline.  Maybe I was hoping for
something a bit more LTIA-ish, I don't know.  He could have turned his fuzz
off, perhaps?  On the other hand, he's the artist, who am I to criticise?

Paolo:
>"I call my music 'rock' because you can play anything and get away with
>calling it 'rock'"

I remember him saying in interview, re KC:  "We come together to create
music.  We call ourselves a band because we get more work that way".  This
was in '69.  He hasn't changed, 'cept he doesn't call himself Bobby
anymore.

>Torn's CDs are clearly marked "File under Rock" yet they still turn up in
>the Jazz section...

This reminds me of a discussion, years back, on alt.music.progressive.
Discussion had turned to everything from Holdsworth to Glass and Reich, and
there was a feeling that the group name wasn't appropriate anymore.
Someone suggested "hey, why not change it to
alt.music.difficult.listening?"

Michael

Dr Michael Pycraft Hughes  *Bioelectronic Research Centre, Rankine Bldg,
Tel: (+44) 141 330 5979    *University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ, U.K.
Fax: (+44) 141 330 4907    *"And the answers?  Sometimes the answers
www.elec.gla.ac.uk/~pycraft*just come in the mail" -Laurie Anderson