Re: Music Descriptions

Arif said:
>Unfortunately, retailers put music into the New Age bin when they don't
>know where else to put it!

If all of us tell them how to call "our" bin, they will create it and fill
it!

James brought in:
>i have always thought that Robert Fripp's  "Soundscapes" was a very
>appropriate name for music of this type...

Appropriate, but not international enough, I think, too dificult word.

>my 1st looping project was a collection of pieces,,i entitled " Music to
>make you leave the room by",,,that way no one could complain if they
>stayed....
>
>the term "New Age" makes me physically i'll... but i've never hit anyone
>for
>using this term to describe some of the music i do,,,havent even purged my
>dinner on their shoes...

Hahahaaaa, you are great, James!

Here in Northeast Brasil, I have a hard time, because the only music people
know that (to them) seams similar to mine is Kitaro and Vangelis and :-(
Jarre.
No Ambient, no New Age, just "instrumental", together with Gismonti,
Hermeto, Vila-Lobos and mandolin music.
Recently it got better, since Enya got known,,, but I did not purge any
dinners either.

Recently, on a public bus trip where they played a tape with those tenor
voices in thirds singing about suffering from love and heartattachments, I
came up with a tape of mine and they put it in. But at the the first
somewhat fatter, harmonically still simple loop, the discussion started and
a guy said that he is tortured by such music. I asked where it hurts and he
pointed at his forehead.
Why?
Why did he not suffer with the suffering singers?

Then there was no music in the bus any more. What a pity.

Matt :
>"Ambient Guitar Noise" is my phrase of choice....

Isnt Noise something rather negative?

Stephen:
>...I end up using words and
>phrases like "atmospheric", "soundtrack music", "space music"

Me too. "space" I rather avoid, because people are very mystical and want a
confirmation that I really am from another planet. How do I know?
I also use "clima", I do not know whether it makes sense in english?

>"...It must be as ignorable as it is listenable..."
>
>"...It seeks to enhance its environment, as opposed to Musak, which
>blankets it..."

Brilliant! I did not know these statements :-(

>Ambient Music is at times best defined by what it is NOT.  It is not like
>an ignored child, prodding you to pay attention to their newest 'trick',
>jumping up and down and yelling "listen to THIS!".  It is therefore not
>something that distracts you from your current tasks-at-hand, whether
>pleasurable or otherwise.

Also brilliant

Is this inherent to looping, or is it just a acidental connection ???