Re: Sustain

I've just managed to track down and try probably the only Fernandez
sustainer in Glasgow.  Here's my reaction:

1.      WOW!
2.      Whilst the contols seemed utterly barmy, I think it goes like
this.
        When the sustainer is off, the mid and br. p/ups work via the
3-way
        blade switch.  When the sustainer is on, the mid p/up is disabled
and
        only the br. h/b works.  The sustainer on/off is the 2-way toggle;
the
        pots are vol, tone and sustainer sensitivity. There's a 3-way
toggle,
        but I've no idea what it does.  Kim, Jon etc, could you confirm
this?
3.      WOW!
4.      When in sustainer mode, the output from the mid p/u is amplified
(by an
        amount governed by the sensitivity) and drivien into the neck p/u.
This
        means you can play a note and, just like with real amps, if it's
loud
        enough it'll cause feedback.
5.      WOW!
6.      This means you sound like you're standing in front of a _very_loud_
amp.
        Even though you're laying through headphones.  I could replicate
the
        effect that always attracted me to Boogies, without getting thrown
out
        of my apartment.

What utterly amazes me is just how _easy_ it is to play probably my
all-time fave guitar solo, RF's "Firepower".

However, the guitar is going (used) for $900.  No way.  I've got to build
me one of these....  somehow!

Michael
(still in shock)

Dr Michael Pycraft Hughes      Bioelectronic Research Centre, Rankine Bldg,
Tel: (+44) 141 330 5979        University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ, U.K.
    "Wha's like us?  Damn few, and they're a' deid!" - Scottish proverb