multi-track recording to pc

A coworker was just asking me a question that some of you may know the
answer to. He wants to do multi-track live recording direct to hard disk on
a pc. (not a mac) He would prefer to have all the a/d conversion done
externally with a digital link to the pc. He needs at least 8 tracks
simultaneously, preferably more, so he can mic his drum set and have some
tracks left for other instruments. Does anyone know a way to do this? Is
there a pro tools equivalent for the PC? External A/D boxes with
connections
to a pci card? Anything?

This is pretty off topic, so feel free to email me directly.

thanks,

kim
Kim Flint                       408-752-9284
VLSI Systems Engineering        kflint@chromatic.com
Chromatic Research