RE: Musicianship, live technique, etc...

>What I meant in my original statement is that, whilst you don't
>necessarily
>need to play _at_ an audience, if you expect to play to an audience (more
>than once!) it helps if they actually like it, rather than the performer
>hiding behind hyperbole of how it's an expression of an artist's inner
>soul.

    Well, this is an interesting point. I think it sometimes helps, at
various points in a performance, to inject a little fun, a bit of whimsy.
This can stimulate an audience to maintain a connection to whats going on
in
the other aspects of a performance. Going back to the origins of this
discussion, this concept could apply to the question of how to divide up a
longish presentation. My first thought was sort of obvious, and someone
else
has discussed it- insert quieter sections that don't contain as much
musical
information while preparing for "busier" sections. My second thought was to
insert a little fun between longer sections.

      What popped into my head, and I'm not suggesting anybody do this, was
a fairly wacky idea: in stereo, samples of two animals having a
conversation- could be two dogs barking at each other in escalating
fashion,
or a dog and a cat, whatever, possibly over some low drones, building up to
the next long "serious" section. This is just one nutty example, possibly
amusing only to myself, but the point is that if you can get the audience
at least smile, you've established a stronger connection. Obviously, if
your
performance is a dedication to the victims of Bosnia, this won't be
appropriate, but I can see many instances where something whimsical could
serve as a break between pieces.

        After 30 years of playing, I've discovered that juvenile wackiness
is among my _better_ qualities!

    Just a thought,
     Kevin