alternate footpedals for JamMonster?

While I love my JamSter, I hate that damned footswitch.  While rifling
in a box of old cable I found an insert Y-splitter, meaning that there
is one male stereo jack attached to two mono female jacks. One of the F
jacks is marked RING and the TIP (this starting to sound familiar?).
You use these just like a normal insert cable except you use a regular
old 1/4" to 1/4" cable.

I was thinking that it would be a swell idea to use two sustain pedals
plugged into this Y-dingus and has a slightly more tap friendly pedal
contraption.  Will this work?  Do I need the normally open kind or the
normally closed?

Trevor