Re: Midi Sample Dump

On Sun, 9 Feb 1997, Floyd Miller wrote:

> I tried dumping a loop into my sequencer.  It was a long loop,
> about 50 seconds.  So I was prepared to be patient, but after 20
> minutes it was still sending data. The numbers in the "multiple"
> window (that's supposed to be percent complete, no?) kept counting
> and overflowing and counting some more with the 10's digit incrementing
> about once per second or so.
>
> I then tried recording a short loop, a little less than 1 second.
> And the DUMP still would go on and on.
>
> I haven't looked at the sysex data to see if it's repeating.  I don't
> know if I'd be able to tell easily.  The data does look like sample
> dump data.

I've had some similar experiences with saving Echoplex loops to computer.
The manual says something to the effect of one minute for every second of
loop time, but I've found it to be close to twice that amount, at least.
I stored a six-second loop to computer, but it took around 10 minutes to
save.

You'll know when you've saved the whole thing, because the Echoplex will
eventually stop sending data.  When it stops crunching numbers, then it's
done -- keep an eye on the front console.  Saving a 50-second loop,
though, could literally take hours.  Make sure you've got time, and that
your SysEx repository has a fairly large buffer -- I ran into much trouble
trying to save to Master Trax Pro until I realized that Trax closed up
after about 512 messages -- far from enough for even a short loop.

--Andre