Re: music just for musicians?

>>and horn players, and Leni Stern is one of only a handful of female
>guitarists
>>to receive any recognition--and if you look at the Guitar Player 30th
>>anniversary issue, there she is among the
>>"30 players who mattered" offering a looping lesson.
>
>Yes, but bearing in mind that the average joe does tend to act like a
>sheep
>rather than learn by example, you need to get people who are in said
>musician's CD collections, and Leni Stern quite honestly isn't.  I'm
>probably at a disadvantage  here because I'm in the UK and probably aren't
>exposed to people like Manring, of whom I'd never heard before the ad.
>But
>in terms of artist association Peavey's new J. ad for the Tubefex will
>probably do far more for sales.  Hell, that ad could've been for the
>Vortex.

Yes, if you are trying to sell huge numbers, you aren't going to get it
with "musician's musician" type endorsers. You can have David Torn, Robert
Fripp, Leni Stern, Michael Manring and a host of other brilliant artists
and it won't equal one Smashing Pumpkins. Joe Perry and Slash have never
made any remarkably creative or innovative artistic statements, but they
sure sold a hell of a lot of Les Pauls.....

>No word yet on the discontinuation on the $1000 plex....  ;)

How's this: The Oberheim Echoplex is not discontinued. Production has been
restarted after a few months of limbo, so they should be readily available
soon. There was even something about software that I didn't quite
catch.....

(and it's more like $800 list, not $1000....)

kim