Re: If ya liked them records....

>>I too recently picked up Mr. Spooky's "dead dreamer" cd, and can attest
>>that it is really quite cool. It is the only cd I own where the booklet
>>verbiage quotes Francis Bacon and KRS-One right next to each other!
>>
>>On the same binge I picked up a few other gems, so for those of you
>trying
>>to get beyond, beside, askance, beneath, or otherwise repositioned in
>>relation to fripp, may I humbly suggest:
>>

>>DJ Shadow "Endtroducing"
>>

>i have a feeling this is the beginning of a long thread.  hope nobody
>thinks
>it's irrelevant:  musical inspiration is always relevant!  (you musical
>"isolationists" could benefit from the artists in this discussion - quite
>departure from the fripp paradigm!)

I don't think its even slightly irrelevant, because for me
dj/techno/hiphop/industrial/dub types of music are where all my looping
motivation comes from. I had barely even heard of Robert Fripp before I got
deeply into the Echoplex project and his name kept coming up in relation to
looping. I still haven't ever listened to his soundscapes, unless the
noises he was making in between songs at the Crimson shows I saw were
soundscapes.

Anyway, I'm glad to see others showing up here who come to looping from
other spaces. I think a little cross-pollination will do us all a lot of
good. I think I'll also take this moment to out a list lurker who came to
our very small looper convention at NAMM. Pat Kirtley is a Taylor clinician
and the 1995 figerstyle champion, not to mention an avid looper. He was
telling me all about Les Paul's early contributions to delay devices and
Chet Atkins current forays into looping. I'd love to hear more, and I'm
looking forward to his promised articles for the Looper's Delight web site.
I think he can give us some great perspective on how looping is taking a
place in bluegrass and acoustic music. Feel free to de-lurk any time Pat!

>anyways, i wanted to say that i agree about the coolness of DJ Shadow.
>but
>for abstract, dark, jazzy, weirded-out loops and grooves, japan's DJ Krush
>truly blows me away.  the general idea of the music is similar to that of
>DJ
>Shadow (a DJ producing solo albums, rather than just backing up a rapper),
>but Krush has a more dark, laid-back, tripped-out approach than Shadow.
>he
>kind of bridges the gap between Shadow and Spooky - not quite as ambient
>as
>Spooky, but not quite as "active" as Shadow.

Hey, excellent! I've heard of Krush but hadn't checked it out yet. I'll be
picking it up on the next binge for sure.....

>his album "strictly turntablized" is a collection of "excursions into the
>hiphop avant-garde".  it's purely instrumental and has some deep, tweaked
>textures that are amazing.  one of the coolest albums ever.
>
>the albums "krush" and "meiso" are essential too.  the track "edge of
>blue"
>(on "krush") features a delayed, wah-pedaled, whammy-pedaled trumpet solo
>on
>top of a slinky gangsta-bass line that brings tears to my eyes...  these
>two
>albums feature some guest vocals that detract somewhat, but there are
>still
>plenty of redeeming instrumentals.
>
>anyways, check this stuff out!

looking forward to it!

Who else has some recomendations to help us all expand our horizons a bit?
Hey, here's an idea: The loopography page needs more stuff. Right now it's
almost entirely consisting Michael Peter's selections. Now Michael
certainly has excellent taste, but as always, multiple contributions make
it better. How about if we all try to think of just one or two recordings
that made a looping impact on us, write a little review, and forward it on
to Michael to add?

Two albums that made a big impact on me, which you should check out if you
aren't familiar with these, are:

Public Enemy, "Fear of a Black Planet" - still gives me some of the biggest
goosebumps of any album I've ever listened to. The rhythm tracks a
masterpieces.

Ministry, "The Mind is Terrible Thing to Taste" - The quintessential
industrial album for me, this one caused geeky synthesizer nerds and
neanderthalic metal heads the world over to look at each other for the
first time in a positive way and say, "dude, lets jam!"

I'll write more serious reviews for the page as soon as I find a moment....

kim