RE: Creativity and Technique

At 12:34 PM 1/21/97 -0500, you wrote:
>about creativity and the necessity of technique ...
>
>"Whatever technique you have on your instrument at any given moment is
>always good enough to say something. If you can't find the thing to say,
>that's what you've got to work on."
>(David Torn)
>
>I think that says it all in a nutshell.

       Sure does! I think many of us on this list were expressing
_something_ shortly after picking up our chosen instrument, even if it was
with a few chords. We knew (and still know) that we had a lot more to
learn,
but it's in our nature to speak thru our instruments whatever our level of
technical expertise. I also don't think it's necessary to ignore our
instrument or drop 2 grand to realign our approach (although I've certainly
done these!)- I do think it's important to have fun and listen. We'll
always
have influences in our playing. They'll come out one way or the other, but
when we're playing, we'll recognize things that are distinctly ours. These
are worth taking note of and expanding on- in the process we'll develope
more of an distinct identity, gain satisfaction, become better listeners
etc. - at least that's how it works for me. I'd like to hear what others'
experiences are- this is a great discussion!

     Kevin