Re: Looping vs delay effects

>This may have been discussed before, but I hear people mentioning things
>like "if it had more delay, I wouldn't need a JamMan". IMHO, there is no
>comparison between the delay you get on an effects unit, no matter how
>much
>delay, and a dedicated looping device like JamMan or EchoPlex wherein the
>player controls the loop start and stop point and *the material* that is
>looped. There may be looping  occuring in the delay effect but it doesn't
>have the flexibility for defining the *exact* loop one wants, esp regards
>what should be recorded and what should pass the delay line. This can be
>set up in patches or using real time control, but at some cost to
>spontaneity, as each tempo or phrase length would demand a different
>tweak.
>
>Though with that said, I love the happy "accidents" that happen playing
>with crossfading delays in the Vortex and using midi controllers to change
>feedback and delay time etc. in (my case) the Quadraverb 2.
>
>This is said to hear what others have to say on this, more than my having
>strong opinion on the matter :-)

Beautyfull clarification!
You help me to see a forest and not just trees.

We have to say that some of these control functions are awailable on some
delays, like tempo tap, external feedback control, freeze, sound on sound
(even multiply, by hand on the t.c.). I built multiply into the PCM 42 and
thought about creating an "external Reset state" for it...

But still, most of the "popular" loop music has been done with the
limitations of the delay or starting out from the resulting music.

I guess thats what I meant when I felt we had to go "beyond Fripp" in
looping - get out of "delaying". Beyond maybe is rather understood as
"farther in the same direction", while I meant musical broadening.

Is that what you meant, too, Jon?