Re: Re[2]: Vortex Applications Notes

Jon Durant wrote:

[a fascinating history of the Vortex]

Jon, thanks very much for taking the time to lay it out.

>As you can see, this box has so much it's hard to imagine people not
>getting it.

For me, even the small percentage of its unique features that I've used
so far warrant my purchase. :-)

>BTW: The GC blow-out deal makes Lexicon $0 per unit. GC bought them at
>Lex's cost to remove them from inventory. GC makes about $20/unit. Good
>profit, huh?

This strongly suggests to me that if the list price had been $350-390,
and the street price $269-299, the box might have sold and everyone
in the chain would have made some bucks.

>(I can still hear the dirisive laughter from my friends at
Digidreck.)

You touch a nerve here, my friend.  When I first saw the first ad for
the JamAccomplice, my heart leapt in my bosom--here was everything I
wanted in a delay unit ('cept that chromatic tuner :-> ).  Then, that
selfsame pump sank like a stone as I read, down at the very bottom,
those dread words:  "A Harman International Company."

I had just been through a very bitter year attempting (unsuccessfully)
to have a birth defect in my GFX-1 preamp repaired under warranty--
a unit which I was enticed to buy by advertising and an owners manual
that were full of misstatements, untruths, prevarications, falsehoods,
lies, damned lies, and (just possibly) one or two mistakes (details
available upon request).  Much as I ached (and still do) for a
JamCompadre, I resolved never to buy from that company again, and I
would not have bought the Vortex if GC hadn't practically shoved it
into my hands.

If the Vortex holds up, or if any problems I have with it are properly
repaired, then maybe I'll be able to let myself think about getting
a JamHomme.

John                              Email:  johnpollock@delphi.com
Troubador Tech on the Web--http://people.delphi.com/johnpollock/