unsynced unmidied loops

Eric Cook hit upon some really IMPORTANT points.

I spent 6 years in a band that consisted of two loopers, and at no time did
we ever use midi, clocks, click tracks, or any kind of sync whatsoever.
and...we created some amazing totally together music....

(This band is still in existence, although we now collaborate long
distance:
bindlestiff, an ambient electronic band).

And Eric's observation that looping unsynced can cause "truly bizarre
counterrhythms"  strange "accidental" harmonies really rings true to me
personally.  please, LET something EXCITING and UNEXPECTED happen!  forget
PLANNING your loops (unless it's appropriate).  let MUSIC occur.......

Some of my best loops have been complete, unplanned "accidents" (for more
on
"accidents" read anything Eno has to say on the subject).  Some of
bindlestiff's finest moments were either "accidental" or "turning a seeming
disadvantage to an advantage"...

I AGREE 100% that these bizarre events, unplanned accidents, etc. are in
some ways the most exciting thing that can happen to a looper.

One of my very favourite loops is the first loop on "Sand Island" created
while I was repairing my pedalboard, so I could have a signal to test
various bad cables, etc.   The loop became so compelling that after I made
the repairs, I made several recordings of it...one of which became the
lead-off track to the album.  ENTIRELY unplanned and
accidental...rhythmically impossible...musically untenable-but beautiful.

ERIC - this IS (undoubtedly) a VERY GOOD THING.

I spent so much time trying to be a Todd Rundgren, making the perfect 3
minute song, overdubbed to perfection. This is the WRONG route!

All you get is sterility, songs worked to death.  Even the Neil Schon
stories smack of this obsession.  No need.

Clear the mind, open the mind...allow MUSIC to appear.  Nothing too
strange,
nothing is impossible.  The best loops are those that just come...if you
WORK at it...it probably will not be so good.

Matthias- you at least know what I am speaking of!

Comments please!

P.S.  I'd kill for a drummer to loop with!  Just a drummer, with an
understanding of what loops/accidents/bizarre rhythms are about and me with
my loops.........

any takers?  in southern calif???

i guess i'm still a solo artist...

dave (lurking for ages now) at STUDIO SEVENTEEN
173451681734516817345168173451681734516817345168

*               *  *  *  *  *     I'll be downstairs if you need me.  I'll
still
*                  *      be downstairs if you don't need me.
*                          *         (Consequences/Godley & Creme)

visit: http:www.adnc.com/web/ambient/index.html
seventeen: the ambient music page

173451681734516817345168173451681734516817345168