Re: "This thing should not exist!" or: Pain through Quadrophonics

>hi matthias, this is in response to "creating a score with the LARUS to
>plat
>the space of a given room. "
>
>to me the larus looked like the Lexicon Larc, except that it was probably
>near
>a prototype or something. what Lucia did was to write a piece for the
>larus to
>be performed in a specific space in new york city. Lucia's work deals with
>pure sound waves... most of the work seem svery focused and completely
>conceived - you guys should look him up in the history books. once you

Indeed. Alvin Lucier's "I am Sitting in a Room" has got to be one of the
looping classics. It consists of Lucier sitting in a room with 2 distant
mics, 2 tape decks, and speakers. The recording begins with Lucier verbally
describing the process of the piece, which is that he is recording his
voice, and after recording, he will play that back through the speakers,
and record that through the mics onto the 2nd tape deck. This continues for
about 25 generations. At first, you just hear reverberation of the rooms
acoustics as he replays the tape into the room. Gradually, certain
frequencies begin to stand out, and by the middle of the 2nd side of the
lp, you start hearing melodies and textures, while the words are no longer
distinguishable. It's a fascinating piece, both for the process and the
musical results.

Dave Trenkel, NEW EMAIL ADDRESS: improv@peak.org
self promotional web-site: http://www.peak.org/~improv/
"A squid eating dough in a polyethelene bag is fast
and bulbous, got me?"
                                     -Captain Beefheart