Re: Details, details

> If you're scratching your head wondering what "the big one" is, try
>the "view attachments" command on your mailreader.  (Perhaps some kind
>sould out there can re-post the index to the list in a manner not
>requiring an attachment command.)

Here ya go...

                    WORLD-WIDE INDEX OF LOOP ARTISTS
                              Version 1.0

                          Edited and assembled
                            by Andre LaFosse
        from submissions on the Looper's Delight Internet Mailing List
                     Oct. 28 through October 4, 1996

This index was assembled on a volunteer basis for a number of reasons: To
provide some information regarding who was using looping, where it was
being done, what gear was being used in the process, and what sorts of
music it was utilized for; and hopefully, to allow the handful of loopists
in the world to better communicate with one another about their craft.
(With regards to this last endeavor, contact information in the index has
generally only been provided when it is different from the preliminary
address and e-mail data).

Thanks are due to Kim Flint for instigating the Looper's Delight web site
and mailing list (and for translating this list into HTML format).  Also
due thanks are the members of the StickWire web page, whose efforts at
facilitating communication between fringe musicians helped to provide the
inspiration for this list.  Finally, thanks to the musicians profiled
below who were willing to share some insights into themselves and their
art.

--Andre LaFosse

NAME    Jonathan Brainin
AGE     35
ADDRESS 281 Forest Rd, South Orange, NJ
PHONE   201/761-0905
E-MAIL  jbrainin@interactive.net (primary) or jbrainin@easyway.net
URL     none as of yet

PRIMARY INSTRUMENT:  Parker Fly guitar, 12 string Warr Guitar

PRIMARY LOOPING GEAR:  2 Jamman (expanded to 32 seconds), Eventide
GTR 4000 (10 seconds mono, 5 seconds stereo), Cakewalk Pro 5.0 with
Audiomedia III soundcard and 3.1 gig hard drive (REALLY long loops)

INFLUENCES:  Fripp, Sylvian, Torn, Brooks, CRI record label, Eno
(both B. and R.), Trey Gunn, Esquivel, Muddy Waters

MUSICAL STYLE OR MAIN AREAS OF CONCENTRATION:  Obscure rock, ambient,
experimental, blues, and perhaps eventually Free ambient blues.

ENSEMBLES:  None at present

AVAILABLE RECORDINGS: Writing material now, hope to start recording
by January, 1997.

PERSONAL STATEMENT:
I've been a guitarist for over twenty years, but have only begun
to loop within the last year or so.

My looping style is beginning to emerge but varies wildly by the
moment and by my mood.  I don't think I've broken any new ground
yet but I have managed, inadvertently, to replicate to sounds and
styles of several of those listed as influences above.

I'm looking for people to collaborate or just improvise with.

----------------------

NAME      Joe Cavaleri
AGE       44
ADDRESS   Simi Valley, California Republic
PHONE     (805) 526-7141
E-MAIL    cavaleri@simi-valley.ate.slb.com
URL       N/A

PRIMARY LOOPING GEAR
Guitar,Volume Pedal,JamMan,Vortex,Quadraverb,Mixer.

INFLUENCES 1960's AM Radio - This ranges from early rock & roll through
motown ect., Im's sure, on at least a subliminal level, TV and movie music
such as Carl Stalling,Bernard Herman, and many others. The minimalist
movment - Steve Riech, Phillip Glass,ect. Guitar specific: The music of
the Doors, King Crimson-Robert Frip, Alan Holdsworth, Bill Frisell,and of
course Mr. Torn.  Many others!!

MUSICAL STYLE OR MAIN AREAS OF CONCENTRATION
Hard to tell. Ambient? Experimental? -- No Age?

ENSEMBLES
None at this time

AVAILABLE RECORDINGS
None commercially available

PERSONAL STATEMENT
Hi all.

First off I would like to thank all the people involved in giving this
segment
of the musical community the opportunity to participate in such a project.
It
should be a very interesting experience.

I have been playing guitar for a little over 20yrs. I kind of started late
but what the heck! In that time I've had the good fortune to play in
several
different styles of music. Everything from a wedding type band, a college
jazz
band, to playing with a Polynesian band.(complete with coconut clad
dancers!!)

I am also attempting to become more politically aware.

As Daniel Webster said.

Good intentions will be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is
hardly too strong to say the the Constitution was made to guard the people
against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean
to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters,
but they mean to be masters.

------------------

NAME: Chris Chovit
AGE: 27
ADDRESS: 1771 Arteique Rd., Topanga, CA 90290
PHONE: (310) 455-0987
E-MAIL: cho@gomez.jpl.nasa.gov

PRIMARY LOOPING GEAR (or methodology for non-electronic loopists): Lexicon
Jam Man, Oberheim Echoplex, MIDI sequencing

INFLUENCES:
funk (JB's, p-funk, other early 70's);
reggae (marley, a. pablo & other dub);
jazz (j. smith, m. davis, "soul" jazz, some 70's fusion);
rock (floyd, crimson, who, hendrix, zappa, led zep, p. gabriel, d. sylvian,
etc.);
ambient / minimal (s. reich,  t. reiley, eno, environments);
electronic (70's electronic, some modern techno-ambient);
misc. (N. Indian classical,  african/blues)

MUSICAL STYLE OR MAIN AREAS OF CONCENTRATION:
Main instrument: guitar (esp. electric)
Secondary instruments:  electric bass, piano, organ, clav, synths, tabla,
drum programming

ENSEMBLES: I have been involved in various "garage" bands and experimental
recording efforts.  I am currently practicing with a funk/fusion drummer
and a multi-instrumentalist with similar influences.

PERSONAL STATEMENT: I am interested in working (alone and/or with others)
to create music, being a fusion of my/our influences, in a recording
and/or performance format, and to develop and optimize the instruments and
tools for doing this.  I am always interested in talking shop, and meeting
new people with similar interests -- (If you live in the LA area -- give
me a call or drop an e-note!)  I just moved and am currently in the process
of setting up a new studio space.

Related interests include:  live-sound reinforcement,
recording/engineering/performance ideas & techniques, IDL & Opcode MAX
programming, WWW as a medium for real-time mulitmedia broadcast,
multichannel audio formats, electric guitars and related amps/effects,
learning how to use time wisely.

----------------

NAME: Jon Durant
AGE: 32
ADDRESS: Alchemy Records, 61 Surrey Dr. Cohasset, MA 02025
PHONE: 617-383-0086
E-MAIL: 74074.1316@compuserve.com
URL:http://www.musicpro.com/alchemy/

PRIMARY LOOPING GEAR: Lexicon JamMan (2), Vortex, LXP-15II

INFLUENCES: Torn, Fripp, Rypdal, Garbarek, Weber

MUSICAL STYLE OR MAIN AREAS OF CONCENTRATION: ambient/jazz/rock crossover

AVAILABLE RECORDINGS: Three If By Air (Alchemy Records), new CD due in
February.

PERSONAL STATEMENT Making music such as this is an intensely personal
experience. I find that my music is very anti-social: it is best absorbed
individually, in a quiet environment. The music is designed to be open to
one's personal interpretation, where one person may see beauty, another
may be horrified. One listener may picture a quiet walk along a beach in
late October, while another may envision a trek across a scorching desert.
Both visions are correct.

-------------------------

NAME:           Kim Flint
AGE:            26
ADDRESS:        PO Box 40240, Berkeley, CA 94704
E-MAIL:         kflint@annihilist.com

PRIMARY INSTRUMENT: guitar

PRIMARY LOOPING GEAR:

Echoplex digital pro's
Klein custom guitar, Fernandes Sustainer Guitar, the Trusty Old Aria Pro II
E-Bow, assorted pedals
Mesa Boogie Triaxis
Rocktron Intellifex
Mesa Boogie Simulclass 2:90
drum machines, sequencers, hopefully more soundsources soon

INFLUENCES:

(in chronological order)
John Denver, The Beatles, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Exodus, Rush,
Steve Vai, Al DiMeola, Queensryche, Michael Hedges, John McLaughlin, Tuck
Andress, The Beatles again, The Doors, Hank Garland, Jane's Addiction,
Miles Davis, Thelonius Monk, John Coltrane, Sonic Youth, George Clinton,
Bootsy Collins, Parliament-Funkadelic, Primus, Voivod, The Limbomaniacs,
Louis Armstrong, Jelly Roll Morton, Fats Waller, Coleman Hawkins, Frank
Zappa, Prince, Public Enemy, Ministry, Skinny Puppy, Ornette Coleman, Don
Cherry, Bill Laswell, Tom Waits, Music of the Ewe people in West Africa,
C.K Ladzekpo, Ravi Shankar/Indian classical music, Mr. Bungle, Pharoh
Sanders, Buckethead, Trent Reznor, Terry Date (production for Pantera,
White Zombie), The Orb, Future Sound of London, David Torn, Underworld, Dr.
Dre

MUSICAL STYLE OR MAIN AREAS OF CONCENTRATION:
heavy-industrial-ambient-jazz-experimental-techno-improv

ENSEMBLES: none currently

AVAILABLE RECORDINGS: none

PERSONAL STATEMENT:

I started playing guitar when I was seven because I liked John Denver and
wanted to play his songs. Things generally went downhill from there.

As an adolescent, the powers that be decided I was too good at science and
mathematics to waste my life as a musician; I was to have a Career as a
Scientist or Engineer or Doctor or some such Professional, and music was
to be a Hobby. So despite my obvious interest in music, I was tracked into
engineering. I ultimately overcame boredom, despair, hatred-of-everything,
etc. and earned a degree in Electronics Engineering from UC Berkeley.
Nevertheless, I managed to add a strong jazz foundation to my rock and
fusion vocabulary, and began moving into much more experimental territory.
After graduating I went on to work for the Gibson Guitar company,
designing new musical instrument technologies at the infamous G-WIZ labs
R&D facility. That is where I first encountered Matthias Grob, where we
developed the Echoplex Digital Pro, and where I became a full on looping
fanatic. I've moved on from there, to the lucrative multimedia frontier in
the silly-con valley, but I've maintained my interests in the loop world
by creating the Looper's Delight mailing list and web site. I hope to have
my hands deep in the next generation of looping instruments as well.

I like creating music with a strong rhythmic foundation. Darkness, anger,
tension, aggression, power, moodiness, and chaos are themes I have the
most attraction to. I'm currently developing my style and gear collection
into a sort of improvised ambient-techno-artrock-jungle-deathmetal-hiphop
something or other. I still like to play jazz once in a while, and lately
there has been a bluesy/country-ish twang coming from god knows where. Now
if I only had some free time.....

--------------------

Name:     Bryan Helm
Age:      38
Address:  Longmont, Colorado
Phone:    303-684-9069
e-mail:   sarajanes@mdcs.com   or   ambient@adnc.com
web-page: http://www.adnc.com/web/ambient/index.html

Primary Looping Gear: Electro-Harmonix 16 Second Digital Delay
                      Lexicon Jamman 32 second Delay-Looper
                      Mackie 1202 mixer
                      Alesis Microverb
                      Roland TR-505 drum machine    Live Sound:
                      Korg DW-8000 synthesizer      AB 200 W Stereo Amp
                      6 string electric guitar      2 JBL 4311
                      voice                         Studio Monitors

Influences:           Brian Eno           Jade Warrior
                      Robert Fripp        Gentle Giant
                      Wendy Carlos        Split Enz
                      Mike Oldfield       XTC            Harry Nillson
                      Jan Garabek         Peter Gabriel
                      Stockhausen         Miles Davis
                      Glenn Gould         Nick Drake
                      Carl Stalling       Steve Hillage

Musical Style:        An equal amount of layered ambient loops,
                      and textured rhythm oriented loops,
                      with and without solo counterpoint via:
Primary Instrument(s) keyboard,guitar, or voice.

Ensembles:            Cloud Silence 79-81
                      Ample Parking 81-84
                      Nelson & Helm 84-85
                      League of Crafty Guitarists 85
                      Dozey Lumps 88-91
                      Bindlestiff 91-present

Available
Recordings:           Cassette only:
                      "The Weight of The Paper" 100 min.
                      "Musing Moon and Solemn Sun" 100 min.
                      "Coincidences" 60 min.
                      "Out of A Clear Blue Sky" 90 min. The latest.
                      These and Bindlestiff tapes available only through
                      Studio Seventeen Productions
                      On CD:
                      "Robert Fripp and The League of Crafty Guitarists
                      Live!" available from Possible Productions at:
                                  PossProd@aol.com

Contact Info:         To request a current catalog:

                      Studio Seventeen Productions
                      P.O.Box 461363
                      Escondido, CA 92046

                        or e-mail to...

                      ambient@adnc.com

                        or look and listen at....

                      http://www.adnc.com/web/ambient/index.html

                        direct comments to me at....

                      sarajanes@mdcs.com

Personal Statement:
                              No one in my family played an instrument
              of any kind but they loved to play records. My dad liked
              Mississippi Delta blues, and jazz, and rock up to Hendrix.
              My mom liked Rachmaninoff and American country music.Into
              this world of influences, and others, in 1968 came Walter
              Carlos's "Switched on Bach". From the age of ten I wanted
              to hear any new sound you could make with anything,period.
              Electronic, acoustic, if it made a noise, I wanted to tweak
              it till it coughed up the sound.

                              Having dropped out of college( a B+ in
              choir, an F in theory) I got a guitar/amp,a reel to reel,
              and effects including a Roland Space-Echo to combat my
friend's
              Echo-Plex. That was 1978 and I've been repeating signals
              via analog and digital means ever since. True looping
              started in late 1979 with 2 half tracks at 7 and 1/2 ips.
              Since then I've enjoyed making some of the most relaxing
              and annoying "music" that I can manage on a limited
              budget. My wife of 15 years has some of the more tolerant
              ears on the planet, and both my boys ages 7 and 12, think
              I'm crazy. The tapes prove this I'm told.

                               Looping can produce some of the most
              delicate and powerful textures available in modern music.
              The frame of mind generated by having to construct live
              loops in performance (particularly without an "Undo"
              function) is one of concentrated bliss for me.Looping is a
              solitary pursuit to a lot of its explorers, so I don't
              know how interactive many of them will choose to be with
              this forum. Whatever happens...I'll be looping and glad to
              talk with anyone else who loops, about... whatever.
                                                             Bryan Helm

------------------

Name: George Henry
Age: 42
Address: 12870 East Daybreak Court, Jacksonville, FL  32246
Phone: (904)221-6438
E-Mail: windharp@fcol.com

Primary Looping Gear:
        I use a Roland VG-8, which provides a maximum delay of 1023 ms;
        and a crude audio editor that came bundled with a sound card. I
would
        like to acquire PC-based audio software, and possibly a dedicated
        looping instrument as well.

Influences:
        Too numerous, eclectic, and wide-ranging to list (seriously).

Musical Style / Concentration:
        I am working toward an integration of freely flowing improvisation
        with discretely composed (i.e. sequenced) musical parts. Two
        different parts of my brain know how to make music in their own
        separate ways. I'm hoping for interesting results when I get them
        working well together.