Re: hyperprism

Dave Trenkel wrote:
>There's a demo at www.arboretum.com, which sold me on the software, and
>the
>PPC version is $279, which is pretty cheap for such a cool tool. And I'm
>not affiliated Arboretum in any way, if this sounds too much like a sales
>plug.
>
>BTW, hyperprism was named after an Edgar Varese piece, which should give
>you an idea of where the designers are at philosophically.
>
>BTW2: I'm new to this list, and loving it. I'm a bassist and looper from
>way back, and currently I'm using a JamMan and lxp-5 for live looping, and
>a PPC/Deck/Audiomedia2 setup for serious mangling.
>
>later,
>dt

I'm really interested in doing more computer/studio based loop music, but I
must confess I don't really know much about the best ways to get started.
For the past few years I've been increasingly listening to various flavors
of techno/house/dance, urban hip-hop/rap, dub, industrial, etc., and I
really want to get my hands into it and do it myself. What can you folks
recommend as a good, reasonably affordable set up?  I've got a powermac,
studio vision, and max. What else might I need?

I guess some other questions that come to mind are, should I consider
getting a sampler? If so are there good older ones I might find used? I'd
like to be able to use loops I make on the mac in a live setting so I can
create echoplex loops along with them. What's the best way to do this?

All the sound cd-roms seem to have such a wealth of great stuff on them. Is
it easy to use loops and samples from these things in the computer?

anyway, I've been enjoying the hyperprism discussion and would like to hear
more about ways people use their computers for looping.

kim